“The Franciscan Sisters Daughters of Mercy, imitating Saint Francis of Assisi, have a commitment to care for the Earth and all its creatures, working for its protection and conservation”. (Constit. V, 90).
“We are called to work for justice and for the integral development and liberation of people and to this end we will work to find the necessary means”. (cf. Directory nº69).
“What kind of world do we want to leave to those who come after us, to children who are now growing up?” (n.160 Laudato si).
Our mission is to work for universal brotherhood in this consumer society, with simplicity, austerity, renunciation and service. We want to work for those who suffer poverty, injustice, abuses and exploitation, to recover the dignity of the needy and the oppressed.
From these premises we try:
- To promote social awareness and solidarity in the members of our Congregation and with those who share our charisma.
- To inform ourselves about social and economical situations in the country to raise awareness, and to work for peace and justice.
- To look for evangelical solutions with those people that suffer so that they may become in their own countries, architects of their own development .
- To put special emphasis on the protection and conservation of nature from our austerity of life and the renunciation of the wasteful and consumerist use of possessions.
- To review our consumer habits trying to make them positive for Nature.
- To reduce, reuse and recycle garbage, being conscious of selective waste collection.
- To integrate into our prayer the concern and commitment to those who suffer injustice.
- To celebrate in a significant way the Spirit of Assisi (October the 27th) and World Day of Prayer for Creation (September the first).
- To participate in awareness campaigns: For justice, Peace and Ecology, Human Rights, Earth Day, Non-Violence workshops…