Our Congregation of Franciscan Sisters Daughters of Mercy was founded in Pina (Majorca, Spain) on September 14th, 1856. This way, Gabriel Mariano y Concepción Ribas de Pina could make their dream a reality, “to incline the heart to abject poverty”. From the beginning, the sisters of the Congregation lived in the small villages which had no resources in health and education. The first Community was established in Pina by three sisters, one of them was the foundress, Sor Concepción. A small school was opened in this village by the sisters, who also worked with the sick people, taught catechesis and took care of the parish church.
Many young girls were enthusiastic with the project of mercy founded by the brother and sister Ribas de Pina, who wanted to promote culture, health, higiene and faith. Many villages requested the presence of the nuns, upon learning of their involvement and compassion with people in rural enviroment. Our Congregation has been working in this mission for 160 years, developing our identity and charisma, following the spirituality of St. Francis of Assisi, reference and model for our founders.